Lately

Monday 7 July 2014


I’m not usually so personal in this space, but the pros of having a personal blog is that you can be ‘personal’. So I will admit that the last few weeks have been tough. I got food poisoning from the wedding I went to in Porto, which put me out for two days and generally helped upset my balance. Not just because I was sick, but because Porto was also meant to be a holiday and a time to rest - I haven't done much of that in a long time, and am in some need of switching off (something I am terrible at). Being bed-bound because you're sick is obviously not very restful. And then (without trying to sound like every woman blighted by her body once a month, although I don’t feel so bad mentioning this after reading Garance’s brilliantly honest post), my hormones have been wreaking havoc (I came off the pill, to try and balance my moods, but it is currently having the opposite effect) which in turn has made me tired, grumpy, moody, low, sensitive and generally lethargic and lazy (did I miss anything?) And when I am all of these things (bit of a toxic combo) I retreat into myself, doubt myself, let those little gremlins in my head get louder and nastier, and I don’t get much done. So despite having a backlog of blog posts, I haven’t posted them and have been generally putting things off. They say procrastination is the thief of time, I'm going to add PMS to that equation. 

It’s hard to get out of slumps like this, which I’ve been trying to do by not drinking too much, listening to happy music (Pharrell’s 'Happy' is obviously high on the list), spending time with friends, organising my summer holiday, hopefully doing more exercise like yoga in the coming weeks and watching videos like this.

But despite my grumps, I’ve had a couple of good things happen over the last few days  – my interview with Paris interior designer, Dorothee Meilichzon can now be read in this month’s Eurostar Metropolitan magazine (read it here and here). And the nice people over at Made With Map featured a few of my favourite places in Paris on their Instagram feed this weekend. Thought I'd end this post on a positive note!

I'd love to know what you do to feel better when you're caught in a slump or your body drags you down!? 

[I took this photo in the Jardin du Palais Royal back when my mum was visiting.]

12 comments :

  1. I usually go for one of these:

    - If it's raining, I light candles, pour myself one (just one though, more might increase slumpiness) of nice, red wine, get some fruit or chocolate or whatever I feel like nibbling on, and either watch a film or read a book that makes me feel good.

    - If the weather is nice, I go for getting a bit tired. It doesn't have to be a marathon, but putting my headphones on with some happy music or a good podcast (or just having the company of a good friend), I go out for an hour or more of walking three minutes, jogging three minutes. After coming home and showering and making a nice big salad, I feel pretty awesome. Also, moving helps with the hormone stuff and if you have any pains from the same.

    - It might be a little bit hard to get started, but taking an hour or so to do some cleaning and then rewarding myself by going to buy some nice flowers to put in my now shiny apartment. Afterwards I feel happy just walking around.

    - If budget and saved up vacation days allow, I might book a little weekend trip with a friend. Having something to look forward to totally lifts my mood! It also gives reason to dream away on the web, researching restaurants, markets, art, nice bars or whatever floats your boat about your chosen location!

    - Singing karaoke! There is no way to be unhappy while singing loudly to old Spice Girls hits!

    I think overall, I tend to turn to small achievments that make me feel pleased about myself. Also, hanging out with friends and make use of the small things that have a proven track record of lifting you spirits, either it's baking a cake, picking flowers, offering to take your neighbours adorable dog for a walk or whatever! Also, when you have ideas of things that might work, write them down on a list (perhaps keep it on your fridge?) and when you feel like you canät think of anything to lift your mood, you have them right there. Just close your eyes and "pin the tail on the donkey"! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks so much for taking the time to comment Robin and for all your brilliant tips!! These are great, and I will keep them all in mind! xx

      Delete
  2. I feel like our lives are aligned right now! I came off the pill about a month ago and I'm currently experiencing the worst PMS of my life!!! Cramps, major mood-swings, self-doubt, randomly crying for no reason... Yes that really happened! Safe to say, I'll be back on the pill by Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Sorry to hear that... but thanks for your comment! It's tough being a woman sometimes.. I hope going back on the pill will make you feel much better! All the best xx

      Delete
  3. The photo is so beautiful! I'm sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. These things come and go, I'm sure there are better times ahead!

    Resting is what works best for me when I'm feeling like that.

    Have a great Monday.
    Cristina,
    http://memoriesofthepacific.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Cristina! Feeling much better now, thank you and have some lovely activities set up with friends etc..and exercise - think that is the key! Have a lovely week xx

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear you've been having a tough time, my dear. Yoga always helps me, as does morning walks ending with solo date cappuccinos. Life will be on the up, up, up... soon! Sending lighter sunshine your way until then :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love, yes I've signed up for yoga ;) feeling much better actually after writing this post and putting my thoughts out into the world! Hope you're having a great time back in the US - stay in touch! xx

      Delete
  5. Acupuncture! I 100% recommend this method. After a few sessions of focusing on balancing hormones, you'll feel better than you thought you could. Other easier and cheaper methods that work for me are drinking good herbal tea (Traditional Medicinals or Yogi), doing something creative (writing, drawing painting), and going on very long walks. Wish you the best! xo Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Jules! I've signed up for yoga, so very happy about that, and I've never tried acupuncture, but have heard great things. I'll look into it! Thanks again xx

      Delete
  6. I LOVE your interview with Dorothee Meilichzon :) look at the amazing writer you are, and the professional you've become ... doing what you love :) so proud of you my dear
    (ps. hope you're feeling better my love!!! xxx)

    - love, from your secret fayefaye

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi sugar,
    So sorry to hear you've been down... I know the feeling. It's odd as summer hasn't fully kicked off, it's crushed my mellow a bit too. Sounds like some rest is needed, but also some sunshine! To get out of the slumps I like to have spontaneous days, coffee out, perhaps some ice cream, just good company and sun rays do me some good.
    I hope your days will get better - take care of your body and think happy thoughts.
    xx à très vite.

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground